Shaping the physical and aesthetic landscape of emerging regions and communities
The Committee on Urban Development and Architecture of the Armenian Assembly is a vital body tasked with shaping the physical and aesthetic landscape of emerging regions and communities. Composed of experts, including architects, urban planners, policymakers, and community representatives, its overarching goal is to foster sustainable, inclusive, and aesthetically pleasing environments that enhance quality of life for residents and visitors alike.
The Committee, leaded by the Chairman Vage Engibarian, is dedicated to regional and urban development, architecture, design, planning, and public policy. Through advocacy, education, and effective communication, it strives to elevate standards and promote sustainable development practices. Additionally, the committee endeavors to cultivate knowledge and innovation among the next generation of professionals by overseeing projects funded by grants, empowering young specialists to contribute meaningfully to the field.
Main Goals of the Committee
• Urban Planning and Design: The committee aims to develop comprehensive urban plans that optimize land use, promote efficient transportation systems, and create vibrant, walkable neighborhoods. These plans prioritize mixed-use development, green spaces, and public amenities to foster social interaction and community cohesion.
• Architectural Excellence: A core objective is to uphold architectural excellence by promoting innovative design solutions that respond to local context, cultural heritage, and environmental considerations. This involves reviewing and approving building designs to ensure they contribute positively to the visual identity and character of the built environment.
• Urban Planning Legislation: The Committee of Architecture and Urban Development operates within the framework of urban planning legislation to ensure adherence to legal and regulatory requirements governing land use, zoning, and development activities. It advocates for the enactment of progressive planning laws and ordinances that prioritize sustainability, equitable development, and community engagement. The committee monitors legislative developments at the local, regional, and national levels, providing expert guidance and recommendations to policymakers on matters related to urban planning policy. By advocating for legislation that aligns with its goals and values, the committee seeks to create a regulatory environment that supports responsible growth, protects public interests, and fosters the long-term vitality of cities.
• Sustainability and Resilience: Recognizing the urgent need to address climate change and environmental degradation, the committee is committed to integrating sustainable practices into all aspects of urban development. This includes advocating for energy-efficient buildings, green infrastructure, and resilient design strategies to mitigate the impacts of natural disasters.
• Historic Preservation: Preserving and celebrating our cultural heritage is paramount. The committee works to safeguard historic buildings, landmarks, and districts by implementing preservation guidelines and offering incentives for adaptive reuse projects that maintain their architectural integrity while accommodating contemporary needs.
• Community Engagement: The committee values community input and actively engages with residents, stakeholders, and advocacy groups throughout the planning and decision-making process. Through public hearings, workshops, and outreach initiatives, it seeks to foster transparency, dialogue, and consensus-building to ensure that development initiatives reflect the diverse needs and aspirations of the community.
• Equitable Development: Addressing socio-economic disparities and promoting equitable access to housing, transportation, and public amenities is a central tenet of the committee’s mission. It advocates for affordable housing initiatives, equitable zoning policies, and transit-oriented development to create inclusive communities where all residents can thrive.
• Collaboration and Partnerships: The committee collaborates with government agencies, non-profit organizations, academic institutions, and private sector stakeholders to leverage expertise, resources, and best practices in urban development. By fostering multi-sectoral partnerships, it seeks to maximize the positive impact of its initiatives and promote holistic approaches to sustainable urban growth.
• Continuous Learning and Innovation: In a rapidly evolving urban landscape, the committee is committed to continuous learning and innovation. It invests in research, professional development, and knowledge-sharing platforms to stay abreast of emerging trends, technologies, and methodologies in architecture and urban planning.
By pursuing these goals with dedication and foresight, the Committee on Urban Development and Architecture strives to create resilient, livable, and inspiring cities that enrich the lives of present and future generations.